Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What's it all about grasshopper?

They say that the world is a refection of your expectation and self. Well that's interesting and very true. As we were slowly progressing towards production certain things just started to slowly come unhinged. It was very fortunate that I spoke and understood Polish well enough to know when the translations were not quite accurate, poor Marcus was involved in conversations quite often crucial ones about the right equipment locations etc. not really knowing what the intricacies of the decisions were. Up to this point we only had to fire one person. This was the props man who had the best of intentions but wasn't guided well by the head of the department and continuously made controversial, expensive and wild decisions about the 15th Century props. In one of the scenes JAN brings home a dead small bird, like a sparrow. How hard can that be you ask? We suggested that maybe calling the Zoo for dead birds and freezing them a couple of days before the shoot would be the way to go. He had other ideas, some which included turning the small bird into an owl. Do you know how big and owl is compared to a sparrow? I hear myself asking. It was so ridiculous that it became funny. Or the final straw was that he bought a pink feather boa to make the dead bird out of. Wow.... if he is a reflection for my inner state am I insane or is this a lesson of letting people go. He was the first person I have ever had to fire.
Few night later at a Polish Film Industry Party I end up having an interesting conversation with a wise woman who asked me "Why do you want to make films". This is a questions that really comes up often and certainly did through the Polish adventure where sometimes the answers were not clear. It is and can me the most rewarding and the most devastation experience. I have been touched my many films that have had a deep impact of the way I look at my life and value the qualities in it. It is the most beautiful opportunity to connect, uplift, inspire, unite and provoke. We all are connected through the commonality of our experiences. The process of making a film involves collaboration and when most of the people involved care it is the most exciting experience of unity, family togetherness feeling there is a reason, and a purpose for the effort and for the life. The down side is that film making is a business, with lots for money involved, and such a public affair. It takes a long time, it has a period of pre production production editing and marketing, and can get railroaded anytime along they. I love film, and thing that it as a medium is so powerful and can be harnessed for goodness, as it often is. Some of the films that really have made in impact were written and directed by a couple of Poles. Kieslowski and Piesiewicz. Three could trilogy and the Decalogue. If Belladonna comes anywhere near the strength, bravery and spirituality as theirs did I'll be over then moon.

No comments: